Henry Cammack(1814 - 1898)
The founder and builder of the famous Spiceland, Indiana "Stone Quarry Mills."
The venerable Henry Cammack died Friday at the age of 84 years at the home of his old friend Clarkson Charles at Spiceland, Indiana.
He was born on April 28, 1814 in Wayne County, Ind., the son of John & Jane (Hollingsworth) Cammack.
He came to Spiceland many years ago from Wayne County and erected and operated the Stone Quarry mills, and he had lived in the neighborhood for quite a number of years. He later sold the mill and moved to Iowa with his wife Sally Horner Cammack to be with his children, daughters Rachel and Emiline and sons Elwood and John Cammack. While in Iowa he was over came with adversity due to the deaths of all his children. He, with his wife, moved back to Indiana and settled at Dunreith where his wife Sally passed away on January 30, 1893.
During the days of his strong manhood he was a useful, influential and enterprising man in the neighborhood in which he lived. He also was a useful and influential member of the Spiceland Friends church during his life.
His money all being spent and his relatives not being able to care for him, Clarkson Charles and his wife kindly took him in, and gave him a home for the balance of his life.
During the past two years he was weak both physically and mentally, and a great burden to those who cared for him.
The funeral services were held Sunday afternoon in the Friends church, with Rev. Barclay Jones conducting the services. He was laid to rest near his wife Sally in the Friends cemetery at Spiceland.