Flatrock Friends Cemetery
0ur first cemetery project for 2011 Was the cleaning and restoration of the Flat Rock Friends cemetery located in Liberty township on CR #100N (Brown Road)
The Flat Rock Friends church is one of the earliest churches in Liberty Township. After fire destroyed the church buildings, 1846, 1852 and 1884, with virtually the same trustees, the church has been relocated in several locations in the general area of the cemetery. Around 1914 it closed its doors and became part of the Friends at New Castle. The old cemetery has more or less been neglected since then, only mowed occasionally until this last fall when the township trustee erected a new split rail fence. But many of the stones are down and are in piles and stacks in the center of the cemetery.
There is a Veteran of the Revolutionary War buried in this cemetery, Jacob Brown (1755 - 1831 is buried here with other members of his family. Also veterans of the Civil War are buried here. The last known burial was in 1893. Mark Kreps of Delaware county with a few of his friends (This cemetery holds a personal connection to Mark. His Gr.gr.gr.? Grandfather, who was a veteran of the Revolutionary War, and granmother. Along with Ken And Anne Holmes, Donna Tauber with the capable leadership of Brad Manzenberger of Stone revival http://www.stonerevival.net/ and a special thanks to Trenton Mathieu Kraczek from AmeriCorps, who is from Utah and wanted to hands on before heading off to Iowa, he uncovered the stone for Ira Hough Sr. The Grandfather of Ira Hough Jr. Henry County's own Medal of Honor receipiant. Many stones were repaired and reset. Mark is still doing follow-up work in the cemetery. soon it will look like a new one. Great work Guys and gals.