This old building of Federal style construction located at 101 East Main Street (the Old National Road) in Lewisville, Indiana, has been used for various business enterprises since its construction c.1835. It was first used in the 1840s as a home & dry goods store operated by a Mr. William L. Houston, proprietor, who had come to Henry county on the 12th of November, 1834 from Shelbyville, KY, the son of William & Mary (Poague) Houston. He was a tanner and currier by trade. He was born in Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia on May 12, 1813 and was a cousin to Gen. Sam Houston of Texas Alamo fame, a fellow Virginian. He was married to Miss Fannie Lybrook of Union County, Indiana on Oct. 7, 1834. Mr. Houston carried on his dry goods, tanner and currier trade until sometime around 1858 when he sold out and started farming for several years. In 1836 he was appointed Postmaster of Lewisville, IN, a position he served until 1854 and again in 1877. Various other businesses have occupied the building in later years. It sat vacant and deteriorating for several years until in 1995 it was purchased by the town of Lewisville and restored in a grand historical fashion. On Feb.10, 2000 it was dedicated by Indiana's 1st lady, Judy O'Bannon to the town of Lewisville to be used as a community building. A library has been opened in one of the upstairs rooms and a large banquet room is available for community functions. It is a place the citizens of Henry County can be proud of.
Louisville, IN Library Founding 1835
Families | Music | Military | Pioneer Photos | Public Records | Resources | Townships | Updates